Re: [ietf-dkim] The URL to my paper describing the DKIM policy options

2006-07-27 10:12:25

On Jul 27, 2006, at 2:09 AM, Mark Delany wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 03:02:55AM -0500, Arvel Hathcock allegedly wrote:
Especially since one can achieve that same effect by having an SSP that says "I sign" everything and then don't sign any email.

One can achieve the same effect perhaps but it's not as easy to understand or explain:

Potential customer question: "How do I communicate that I don't send mail?"

Answer: "You imply in your policy that, in fact, you do send mail, that all such mail must be signed, but then because there won't be any signatures you'll achieve your goal."

Customer scratches head: "Why not just a binary flag that says 'I don't send mail'?"

So it could be an alias entry in SSP then. One is called "I sign all" and the other is called "I don't send". They both set the same bit.

There is a slight difference between these two scenarios. This difference between "All Signed" and "Don't Send" becomes significant when deciding what to do with an invalid signature.

A designated signing domain list with a single bit indicating whether the list is open-ended provides for both "All Signed" or "Don't Send". The designated signing domain list might also validate relationships beyond the OA during the envelope examination phase, for example.

EHLO hostx.dkim-signer.org

MAIL FROM: joe(_at_)example(_dot_)com