Re: [ietf-dkim] I sign nothing / only only 3rd party / some mail

2006-07-27 12:58:23
Douglas Otis wrote:

On Jul 27, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

wayne wrote:

In <p06230903c0eeb486a116(_at_)[10(_dot_)20(_dot_)30(_dot_)182]> Paul Hoffman <phoffman(_at_)proper(_dot_)com> writes:

"I sign some mail" doesn't tell the recipient anything useful.

What am I missing?

It says that you should look at email without a signature as being "acceptable", unlike a "I sign all mail" which without a signature is quite questionable.

From what I can tell, "I sign some mail" tells the receiver that the signer wants to put up a policy statement, but that's about it. The one thing that's vaguely interesting about this is that we could do surveys of who's at least thinking about dkim.

The "I sign some mail" (an open-ended list) also indicates that when a signature is damaged by a mail-list for example, this source should be considered valid for their OA. An open-ended list also allows positive annotations, but with fewer delivery failures or support calls.

I have no idea what an "OA" or "open ended list" is, but I seriously doubt it. Preferential treatment
based on unverifyable DKIM-Signature bits is an invitation for abuse.

      Mike