Re: [ietf-dkim] Requirements on where/how SSP stuff is published...

2006-07-30 16:08:51
Dave Crocker wrote:

Stephen Farrell wrote:
Folks,

We all (or almost all) seem to be assuming that the DNS is the
place to put SSP stuff.

I just wanted to raise the question to see if that's a requirement
or just a near-accidental part of the current design proposals.

Let me suggest that it will become a requirement, but that considering it one,
now, is a mistake. In other words, use of DNS, or whatever, derives from
functional and operational needs, rather than being a core need, on its own.

In other words, we should be discussing 'requirements' in terms of semantic
functions or practices/reputation/etc services that are need, rather than the
details of the mechanisms that will be used to provide those services.
This sounds about right to me too, so what exactly are the things that make
DNS attractive? JohnL mentioned several (caching, widespread availability,
etc)... others? What about TCP's state creation? Is that a good/bad or neutral
thing for SSP? What about security properties? Is DNS adequate in this case?
If so, why?

      Mike