Re: [ietf-dkim] A more fundamental SSP axiom

2006-08-04 10:33:03
If SSP says "I sign everything" I have trouble figuring a use for it other than a flat reject of unsigned messages or at least 4.9 points in a five point scoring spam filter.

That's the problem: if you do that, domains like Cisco -- or anybody else
who uses mailing lists -- will *never* publish a "we sign everything" policy
even though we do.

And that's a problem because ... ? There are all sorts of true statements that you can make about your outgoing mail, almost none of which are of any use to anyone else. This appears to be one of them.

0: "mail from this domain may transit manglers, adjust accordingly"

That's not a bit, that's a fact of life. None of us have any idea what paths our mail might take on its way through the mail morass.

1: "the signature should always be intact"

That's someone people could use operationally -- a suggestion to discard unsigned mail from you.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor