Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue: Requirements #9 NOT REQUIRED for 1st partyvalid signatures.

2006-08-10 19:27:12

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Thomas" <mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com>
To: "Damon" <deepvoice(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

Damon wrote:

The Protocol MUST NOT be required to be invoked if a valid
first party signature (without the 's') is found.

This was a typo on my part. The intent was only one first party
signature is necessary. Sorry 'bout that; corrected.

I vote to remove this requirement #9 since its design implementation concept
and it conflicts with some of other reguirements such as:  #2, #3, #4 and #7
which all have a need to check SSP first scenario.

Examples:

"No Mail Expected"   signed or not signed, it failed an expectation.

"No Signing Expected", it should not matter if the mail was signed by whom,
it failed an expectation.

and so on.

The implemention can choose to look at the verification of first or decide
to do the SSP first.   As long as the combined results produces the same
outcome, it should not matter how it is done.

On the other hand, in my technical opinion, to be consistent and  in order
to statisfy  discovery requirements,  a  more efficient model is to so SSP
first, before verification is done.  So if anything,  the discovery
requirements should promote Practice and Expectation requirement that says:

         The PROTOCOL SHOULD consider to be invoked first before the
          need for signature verification is required.

But again, a design consideration so I vote to remove it since its really
more about telling the protocol designer how the steps should be done.
Unless of course, we agree that this ought to be done. :-)