Re: [ietf-dkim] Delegating responsibility: a make vs. buy design decision

2006-08-18 11:47:50

Michael Thomas wrote:
1. Initial DKIM deployment relies upon support of DNS TXT records.  We
either accept that or we start over.  Hence, any discussion of non-support
of TXT records strikes me as counter-productive.

2. How does support for TXT records affect the current discussion about
Author-vs-Operator domain name, used for signing and assessment?

Dave. I'm merely pointing out that lack of support by some DNS providers for
NS records is not a good argument since many/most do not support using TXT
records either.

Right.  I was trying to jump up a level and find out how this issue -- which you
did not introduce -- is relevant to the current topic.

In other words, I suggested that use of classic DNS sub-domains provides the
delegation features that cover the interesting cases for DKIM.

I continue to be unclear what is superior about having SSP invent a new
mechanism that creates security problems and additional administrative overhead.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking