Re: [ietf-dkim] user level ssp

2006-09-06 18:46:37
Douglas Otis:

On Sep 6, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

Why?  The signature must be valid and the email-address must be
assured to be valid.  How is the email-address susceptible?

I can answer that. Exploitation of the mapping from recipient
address to DNS record name, by the application of brute force.

If policy attempts to list all valid email-addresses, then it would
be possible to use these records to discover valid email-addresses as
you suggest.

This is not how the mechanism is envisioned to be used however.  As
opposed to John's suggestion, this mechanism would automate
annotations for "select" email-addresses within a domain.  These
email-addresses are likely already widely known, and are useful only
in conjunction with a trusted domain.  These "select" email-addresses
offer a means to differentiate messages the trusted domain wishes to
automatically convey as trustworthy.

With only a small number of email addresses in a domain, the existing
mechanism is plenty sufficient. Simply use an appropriate selector
field in the DKIM signature.  This problem can easily be solved
without introducing complexity in the form of per-user mechanisms.

As far as I can tell, we're talking about a solution for which a
convincing problem has yet to be found.

        Wietse