RE: [ietf-dkim] New issue: What is the purpose of SSP?

2006-09-20 12:32:43
Potential DKIM signers wish to assist receive-side message evaluation
systems by publishing information about the messages that they originate
and possibly sign. As always, other major factors include potential
performance and reliability impact upon message handlers, and other
system operators will determine what use, if any that receive-side
evaluators will make of this information.

Bill Oxley
Messaging Engineer
Cox Communications, Inc.
Alpharetta GA
404-847-6397
bill(_dot_)oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Dave Crocker
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:35 PM
To: DKIM IETF WG
Subject: [ietf-dkim] New issue: What is the purpose of SSP?

Folks,

I think that Michael has done quite a good job of capturing much of the
detail that has been discussed.

However on reviewing the current draft, I am struck by the absence of
any text that describes the actual purpose of SSP, other than in terms
of essentially reflexive detail.

   "The most pressing case seems to be the
    bid down attack inherent with almost all systems that allow optional
    authentication: how does a receiver know whether or not it should
    expect a message to contain authentication information?"

That is, we do not have a general, motivational statement for SSP.

I believe that, in fact, the working group has not settled on clear,
precise benefits goal(s) and that, therefore, it makes it difficult for
the working group to develop consistent technical requirements.

By way of priming the pump here is my own attempt to remedy this:

      Potential DKIM signers wish to assist receive-side message
      evaluation systems by publishing information about the messages
      that they originate and possibly sign. The primary basis for
      determining what practices to specify is a strong indication that
      receive-side processors have an interest in using the information.
      As always, other major factors include potential performance and
      reliability impact upon message handlers, and other system
      operators.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker