Re: [ietf-dkim] New issue: What is the purpose of SSP?

2006-09-20 14:26:26

 > By way of priming the pump here is my own attempt to remedy this:

Potential DKIM signers wish to assist receive-side message evaluation
systems by publishing information about the messages that they originate and possibly sign. The primary basis for determining what practices to specify is a strong indication that receive-side processors have an interest in using the information. As always, other major factors include potential performance and reliability impact upon message handlers, and other system operators.

Bill Oxley:
Potential DKIM signers wish to assist receive-side message evaluation
 systems by publishing information about the messages that they
originate and possibly sign. As always, other major factors include
potential performance and reliability impact upon message handlers,
and other system operators will determine what use, if any that
receive-side evaluators will make of this information.

My intent was to define criteria for selecting practises that we specify
and assert constraints based on potential impact.  In other words, we
should specify features that are likely to get used and that are not
likely to hurt individual sites or overall Internet performance.

(These sound like obvious criteria, but my own view is that they have
not been considered much during the discussions so far.)

So:

Potential DKIM signers wish to assist receive-side message evaluation systems by publishing information about the messages that they originate and possibly sign. Criteria for working group selection of practices to specify MUST include a strong indication that receive-side processors have an interest in using the information and a technical assessment that the publication and query activities will not impose excessive burdens on clients, servers, or network nodes.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking