Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: Applicability of SSP to subdomains

2006-12-07 23:20:00
Jim Fenton wrote:

The question is simply, "should it be possible for an SSP record published by example.com to also apply to sub.example.com [for any value of sub]".

Yes, but allowance is made for the sub as well. Isn't the specs currently written as such?

We had a lengthy thread on this a few months back. I think this is a matter of what we believe is more efficient and the order of the lookup and how the BASE should cover or be consistent with the entire sub-domain:

Example:

Given domain:  D.C.B.A

Lookup order #1

    D.C.B.A
    C.B.A
    B.A

or Lookup order #2

    B.A
    C.B.A
    D.C.B.A

I believe the specs currently says order #1 is to be done. But I think there is valid consideration that a base domain should be consistent with the authorization of the sub-domains.

To me, the lookup order #1, makes more sense, although probably less efficient when a DOMAIN doesn't probably set his SSP records right and forces redundant NXDOMAIN or fails on the receivers:

    D.C.B.A   NXDOMAIN
    C.B.A     NXDOMAIN
    B.A       NXDOMAIN
    A         SSP record found

That would be my only technical concern about this. But I think we have no choice here because I think we ant to allow a DKIM DOMAIN to offer different sub-domain policies.

---
HLS