Re: [ietf-dkim] mutant message validation, was Base issue: multiplelinked signatures

From: Michael Thomas

Wietse Venema wrote:
>> Perhaps some people are confusing verification and presentation.
>>
> I really don't understand all of this hand wringing about True Verification
> vs. Mutant Verification Intent on Taking Over Earth. The protocol document
> needs to be precise about what it takes for a properly written verifier to
> verify a properly signed message. That's it. Trying to make normative any or
> all of the ways _not_ to verify a signature is not only a waste of time, it's
>  a hopeless task.

Mostly +1.

In line with Wietse, we need to distinguish between two, basic activities. One is verification. I would call the other "interpretation", rather than "presentation" because it is a function of the filtering agent -- and can result in a variety of handling outcomes -- rather than just presentation to the user.

The fundamental point is that dkim-base defines how to create a signature and how to validate a signature. Anything done after the basic, interoperable, yes/no validation is outside the scope of -base.

Calling it "policy" is a good way of distinguishing it from the scope of -base which is intended to be purely mechanism.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking