[ietf-dkim] Re: example.edu

2007-01-19 19:10:37
RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

RFC 2606 doesn't cover TLD edu.

True, but I believe the operator of the .edu registry has committed
to example.edu being handled in the same way as example.org and
example.com (ie, not ever being assigned to anything real).  So, OK
to use for examples if desired to do so

Unfortunately that's not the case in most TLDs, and users try it
anyway inspired by examples as in the DKIM draft, and that causes
havoc for the owners of real example / test / invalid domains.

Therefore I think it's NOT okay until RFC 2026 is updated, or until
a TLD specific policy RFC guarantees that it's okay.

we in .edu circles do it all the time.

The issue isn't that it happens to work as expected in TLD edu at the
moment, the problem are clueless users trying this approach elsewhere.

Frank