Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP issues

2007-05-30 17:04:17

On May 30, 2007, at 5:25 PM, william(at)elan.net wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2007, Douglas Otis wrote:
I would be happy to help co-author a draft that establishes a list of current domains levels used by registries which should be excluded from queries for DKIM related records.

That's not the way to do it. The list only provides info on current moment where as technology should be general and should not restrain or be restrained by policy issues (and deciding if they want or do not want to offer direct SLD for come ccTLD is a policy issue).

Internally, a list of this nature is being maintained already. The document would simply help establish a repository for where such a list could reside. Domain owners wishing to use a domain for email are free to have their domain removed, but this will likely be an extremely rare event. The more likely scenario are additions instead, to curtail unnecessary queries hitting their servers. It would be surprised to find that such a list is not welcomed in vast majority of cases. Exceptions to this list will also be far easer to manage separately.

Besides that there are other issues with just doubling number of queries for new record. The only case where I see it as acceptable is for transition period (i.e. A & AAAA ; although clearly such "transition" periods can last very very long time...).

The concept is to provide a text file in some standardized format listing the domain to be avoided. An announcement might be made that a change occurred to prompt administrators to update their configurations based upon this list. I would not expect this file to change so frequently as to be unmanageable. If anything, domains are remaining fairly flat.

-Doug