Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP issues

2007-05-30 18:20:12
Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Wednesday 30 May 2007 18:22, Jim Fenton wrote:

(2) SSP record type (TXT vs. something new). Only 4 messages in discussion,
mostly saying "if you support TXT, don't bother with anything else." Again, no clear consensus.

Agreed. There is also a view that if you go with a new RR type, don't bother with SSP. By the time a new RR type is widely deployable, the market will have found a different solution.

Scott K

IMO, I think we should stop wasting further time on this repetitive issue and just establish two, a new RR with a TXT fallback, as part of the specs.

The bottom line is that client applications will learn to adapt to domains. They are not stupid. If they sees that a domain only uses TXT, it may stop doing a RR lookup for this domain. To re-adapt to RR, one easy solution would be to have a TXT attribute:

    rr=1

that says the RR record exist and the client should use the RR first, if it can.

If we stick with TXT only, we loose the opportunity to use RR in the future (even if its years).

If you stick only with RR, then we risk early and optimal adoption and compatibility.

So we should use both with an initial RR, TXT fallback with insights for client to learn, and we should also consider a TXT attribute, like RR=1 that says that a RR record exist for those clients that can read it via the network

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com