Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP issues

2007-05-30 18:42:58

On May 30, 2007, at 6:16 PM, Hector Santos wrote:

Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Wednesday 30 May 2007 18:22, Jim Fenton wrote:
(2) SSP record type (TXT vs. something new). Only 4 messages in discussion, mostly saying "if you support TXT, don't bother with anything else." Again, no clear consensus.
Agreed. There is also a view that if you go with a new RR type, don't bother with SSP. By the time a new RR type is widely deployable, the market will have found a different solution.
Scott K

IMO, I think we should stop wasting further time on this repetitive issue and just establish two, a new RR with a TXT fallback, as part of the specs.

SRV provides some extra functionality over an A record for publishing a website.

But the A record works. Anyone publishing a website needs to provide the A record. If they just published a SRV record, most clients wouldn't find or visit the site.

A client needs to support the A record, and because it can safely assume that every site has an A record, looking for an almost certainly non-existent SRV record before looking for an A record is simply overhead and delay. Clients can safely just look for the A record and save themselves the pain.

Cheers,
  Steve