Re: [ietf-dkim] RE: I think we can punt the hard stuff as out ofscope.

2007-06-05 15:11:29
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

I am trying to punt the wildcard baggage and tree traversal
> bagage that is being acreted to meet a requirement that is
> out of scope.

But what does this have to do with what kind of policy exposes once the records are discovered by any method eventually used?

The bottom line is once a domain is discovered, it will have some basic ideal boundary conditions:

    - OPTIONAL
    - MUST SIGN
    - NEVER SIGN
    - NO MAIL

plus the no discovery definition:

    - Interdeterminate  (NX_DOMAIN)

I don't care what METHOD is invented to get that information, they all work with a basic BLACK BOX model concept returning the same output:

    POLICY = LOOKUP_METHOD(DOMAIN)

We already established the DOMAIN::POLICY association and relationship.

We need a LOOKUP_METHOD - the function generator!!

It seems to me, you are trying to mixed or blend in policy definition with the lookup method, maybe in the hope to find some simplicity?

Well, it seems to me, this is restricting real practical policy potential and just slowing this process down.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com