Re: [ietf-dkim] RE: I think we can punt the hard stuff as out of scope.

2007-06-06 09:24:05
Stephen Farrell wrote:

First, I disagree. It wasn't very clear. The mere fact you are still having this issue, proves the point.

What I see happening is folks who lost an argument trying to
re-open it.

What arguments? You preemptively prevented any argument and chastised anyone (ME) who had any comments. You strictly wanted a +/- 1 straw poll" with no comments - thats clearly promotes a "follow a chieftain" poll path.

In addition, thats the point, I was under the impression it was never lost because it was already part of two specs. But rather it was a more about semantics for the requirements document:

     - DESIGNS MUST NOT REQUIRE A NO-MAIL POLICY

is the not the same as:

     - DESIGNS MUST NEVER INCLUDE A NO-MAIL POLICY

Instead what has clearly happen is that a decision was misinterpreted as gospel and 100% out of scope by Phillip and now yourself. Not making it a requirement for a particular DKIM Policy Protocol Proposal such as XPTR is an acceptable idea, but Phillip is doing so by saying NOMAIL is OUT OF SCOPE is wrong.

Saying NOMAIL is out of scope is SIMPLY incorrect. It is part of SSP and DSAP.

What I was concern about has materialized. Now I am afraid the same will happen with the NOT REQUIRED TO LOOKUP SSP issue as well which is clearly something I am not following in my design. I will lookup the SSP policy ALWAYS and I am hoping for a DNS lookup method that will optimized this.

Finally, I gave up on DSAP 100% because Jim's new SSP draft covered all the basic ideas. NO MAIL is important part of it. Using the low censensus decisions for a Requirement Documents provision as a reason to remove it from the SSP specs was the last thing I expected.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com