RE: [ietf-dkim] suspicious and SUSPICIOUS

2007-10-11 12:09:54
I frequent a social/technical board that had a spoof/troller. He was simply
smacked down by the admin. Only a few were taken in and all were annoyed. I
don't think that is an issue we need to solve technically.
Thanks,

Bill Oxley
Messaging Engineer
Cox Communications

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Charles Lindsey
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:35 PM
To: DKIM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] suspicious and SUSPICIOUS

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 16:54:53 +0100, <Bill(_dot_)Oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com> wrote:

I am not sure why anyone would forge a list contribution that
contributes or why it would matter. I just want to know that an incoming
email from a list is actually from that list.

It is quite common, in some of the chattier Usenet Newsgroups, for trolls
to forge postings in the name of other regular contributors (you see it
less in the more technical groups). And remember that Newsgroups are often
gatewayed into mailing lists.

In the case of mailing lists such as this one, intended for serious
technical discussions, I doubt one will ever encounter such forgeries, but
I am sure there must be mailing lists out there established for more
social purposes, and in which such trolls will inevitably be found.