Re: [ietf-dkim] The (really) latest SSP draft

2007-10-24 08:27:09
d=bigmarketingcompany.com
i=(_at_)brandA(_dot_)bigmarketingcompany(_dot_)com

d=bigmarketingcompany.com
i=(_at_)brandB(_dot_)bigmarketingcompany(_dot_)com

That is an interesting view. I can accomplish the same by using
sub-domains in d= instead. Are you simpy going to strip
sub-domains from d= too?

Honestly, I'll do whatever seems easiest in my goal to deliver the mail my users want, which may or may not be the mail you think they want. The best thing for senders to do, as you note below, is to divide up the mail stream in ways that make life easier for receivers.

It is interesting that receivers (Hotmail/AOL/Yahoo) suggest to senders
to separate their different type of mail streams
(transactional,marketing,etc) by using IPs. The same can be
accomplished with DKIM and i=.

Indeed, since that makes it easier to handle the ads their users don't care about differently from the transactions they want. But I can't help but note that your example above was different clients, not different categories.

I also hadn't realized that DKIM was strictly meant to benefit
receivers.

It benefits senders to the extent that receivers can decide more accurately whether to deliver the mail they get sent.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.