RE: [ietf-dkim] Proposal to amend SSP draft with a reportingaddress(fwd)

2007-11-14 12:41:32
I propose that there are the following requirements:

1) Mechanism for announcing that a service is available to accept reports of
DKIM verification failures
2) Mechanism for specifying which reporting protocols are supported
3) Mechanism for discovery of the reporting service of a given protocol
4) Specification of the reporting protocol

I regard 4 as being out of scope for DKIM, we should not develop a protocol.

I regard 3 as being solved by DNS SRV, its what it is for

So that leaves 1 and 2. I consider these to be a DKIM responsibility, in
particular an SSP responsibility.

In an ideal world there would be an ideal reporting protocol. I don't think
that we are an ideal world and so I beleive that DKIM must support some means
of reporting protocol agility just like we would regard protocol versioning a
good thing.

The difference is not at all complicated, it means writing REPORT=ARF or
REPORT=ARF|INCH

There is a philosophical design issue here, clearly it is a bad thing for DKIM
to provide more options than is necessary to address DKIM functions. But it is
also a bad thing for DKIM to force the use of a particular support
infrastructure. This is why we made sure that we can in fact use DKIM with XKMS
or with X.509 pki even though we have a key record mechanism.

I don't want to get into the design of the reporting protocol here. I am not
even sure that ARF is what a standard would look like, we already have INCH
after all. If we decide to design DKIM to only use ARF we create a dependency
and have to ensure that ARF is at equivalent standards level. Weak coupling is
what we need, provide a slot to allow interaction with ARF but don't force a
choice.