RE: [ietf-dkim] Proposal to amend SSP draft with a reportingaddress(fwd)

2007-11-14 14:53:12
I have no idea what the law of intended consequences might be or what
conclusions you might believe we should draw from it.

I dislike argument by aphorism. If something is worth saying it is worth saying
clearly.

________________________________

From: Michael Thomas [mailto:mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wed 14/11/2007 2:53 PM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc: Eliot Lear; O'Reirdan, Michael; ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal to amend SSP draft with a
reportingaddress(fwd)

Well, this pretty much confirms my suspicions of the law of unintended
consequences, even if this a layer 8 example rather than a layer <= 7
example.

       Mike, seeming simple proposals masking a huge undefined problem

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I propose that there are the following requirements:

1) Mechanism for announcing that a service is available to accept
reports of DKIM verification failures
2) Mechanism for specifying which reporting protocols are supported
3) Mechanism for discovery of the reporting service of a given protocol
4) Specification of the reporting protocol

I regard 4 as being out of scope for DKIM, we should not develop a
protocol.

I regard 3 as being solved by DNS SRV, its what it is for

So that leaves 1 and 2. I consider these to be a DKIM responsibility,
in particular an SSP responsibility.

In an ideal world there would be an ideal reporting protocol. I don't
think that we are an ideal world and so I beleive that DKIM must
support some means of reporting protocol agility just like we would
regard protocol versioning a good thing.

The difference is not at all complicated, it means writing REPORT=ARF
or REPORT=ARF|INCH

There is a philosophical design issue here, clearly it is a bad thing
for DKIM to provide more options than is necessary to address DKIM
functions. But it is also a bad thing for DKIM to force the use of a
particular support infrastructure. This is why we made sure that we
can in fact use DKIM with XKMS or with X.509 pki even though we have a
key record mechanism.

I don't want to get into the design of the reporting protocol here. I
am not even sure that ARF is what a standard would look like, we
already have INCH after all. If we decide to design DKIM to only use
ARF we create a dependency and have to ensure that ARF is at
equivalent standards level. Weak coupling is what we need, provide a
slot to allow interaction with ARF but don't force a choice.