Re: [ietf-dkim] Review of DKIM Sender Signing Practices (draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-01)

2007-12-04 12:41:00
 hsbc.co.uk != hsbc.com. That they have layer 8+ ties to one another
 is not a problem SSP is trying to solve.

Right.  So forget that digression.

I said, I get a bunch of messages purporting to be from a bank I've never seen before. This isn't lookalike, this uses the actual domain (in this case hsbc.co.uk) but since I've never seen any mail from them before, good or bad, I won't do the lookup and I'll never know that their SSP says they sign all their mail.

Apparently, detecting forgery of exact domain names isn't a problem that SSP is trying to solve either, unless you already happen to know that the domain signs their mail.

I get a bunch of mail purporting to be from some bank. You said that since I've never seen any signed mail from them, don't bother to look up their SSP. Huh?

R's,
John