Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue 1530 - replace use of term "suspicious"

2007-12-17 11:10:34

On Dec 16, 2007, at 9:34 PM, Jim Fenton wrote:

Michael Thomas wrote:

My suggestion is to just to take the exception/violation reason. For example, "all-exception", "strict-exception", "nxdomain- exception" and the like. A single word even if it's value-neutral gives the wrong impression that all exceptions/violations/suspicion should be given the same weight. Just saying what it is that went wrong doesn't do that.

+0.5

Agree that a name change is in order, and that we need more than a binary 1/0 result.

But "exception" makes it sound like a kernel panic or something. Hector had some alternative interpretations of "exception" too. My suggestion: "non-compliant"/"compliant".

Mike's breakdown provides a finer granularity of states. Policy exceptions happen all the time with things like SELINUX without it being a panic or crash. The specification should not attempt to combine various states "as-if" they were just one state. Experience will dictate how each state is best handled. While a message might be fully compliant, there can be many reasons a message might be found "non-compliant". These reasons could be termed "*-exceptions".

+1 on Mike's suggestion, and +.5 on Jim's.

-Doug