RE: [ietf-dkim] Issue 1530 - exception

2007-12-16 20:18:33
The word denotes failure of a rule
in rule based systems you have a decision tree with EITHER pattern match OR
exception to pattern match
SSP at a glance appears to be a rule based policy engine. Exception as opposed
to Suspicious emphasizes that.
Receivers can base their policy on SSP in a similar manner.

Suspicious is a description of an exception that may or may not be accurate.
thanks,
Bill Oxley

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org on behalf of Hector Santos
Sent: Sun 12/16/2007 1:56 PM
To: dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net
Cc: DKIM WG
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue 1530 - replace use of term "suspicious"

Dave Crocker wrote:

Jon Callas wrote:
Dave Crocker wrote:
With the use of language like "suspicious", SSP is making value
judgement on messages that do not satisfy SSP's criteria, even
though those message well might be entirely legitimate.

How about something like "SSP Exception"? Metaphorically, it works
well with the programming use of the word exception.

Folks,

In the hope of trying to close some of the "easy" Issues, would folks
comment on this specific proposal, or otherwise post comments seeking
closure of the Issue?

-1.

I actually thought Jon was joking around.

With all due respect to Jon,  an exception is generally used when you
don't have any real controls over your software or system faults.  Its a
highly debated concept that can create its own unknown exceptions.

"SSP Exception"  makes you think of what it means.  Is it a "Fault?"
Exception to what?  SSP policy?  Algorithm?  Or we talking about the
domain taking "exception" to the idea someone is messing around with its
mail?.  "I take exception to Mr. Bad Guy trying to exploit my mail?"
or that the domain screwed up and had created a Exception.

I don't particularly like Suspicious, but it is specific and much more
to the point and closer to the negative "classification" ideas we are
trying to attach, and what is being conveyed - that something is wrong.
And IMO, it can be understood by a much more wider audience than just
programmers.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO