Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Issue 1530 - replace use of term "suspicious"

2007-12-20 09:43:07
Eliot Lear wrote:
Hector,
So much for getting the "easy issues" out of the way. :-)

Bingo.  We are wasting time on what I think is an extraordinary
superficial issue.  Jim's original term "Suspicious" was defined within
the document, and did not in itself mean that the message was a forgery
- just that extra care is needed.  I wonder whether there really is a
developer who would be confused by the term and not know what to do.  If
so, please explain why you are confused by the text.

Eliot

I agree with you. I don't think developers, including us, will have much of an issue with "suspicious" or even exception. So for me, I have no qualm with closing this issue. We know what we can or can not do and the "words" isn't going to change that.

That said, I do recognize the dichotomy here and would I think I understand why David raised the issue.

My opinion:

From my viewpoint, I personally do not have a subjective concern for
SSP and view it as directly tied to the DKIM-BASE protocol consistency
implementation "requirements." I always felt SSP would be key part for DKIM's wide adopted success (not just high profile isolated implementations). Thus separating it, IMO, was going to cause some rather complex wide-adoption engineering implementation barriers. FWIW, we have very little interest in DKIM without a SSP framework.

So for me, I see it more as black and white with no gray. The only gray is the imperfections of the DKIM protocol - not SSP. SSP is indeterminate in the gray areas of DKIM-BASE. However, they are interrelated because SSP can help in minimizing the gray areas of DKIM-BASE.

The point of the illustrating the boundary conditions in the other
thread was to highlight where SSP helps validate the DKIM protocol with 100% non-repudiation, meaning the mail was received in the framework it was expected and no one is disputing it. It illustrates the hard results - the pure violations and pure compliance of DKIM-BASE. It also shows unless hard choices or assumptions are made, it shows why the "BROKEN TO NO-SIGNATURE" DKIM-BASE mandate can be problematic.

So to me, it is either a true or false check - no exception.

In short, if you asking me why one can be "confused" by this, I say, lets not make it any more difficult for SMTP receivers and DKIM verifiers. Lets just describe it as it is. No beating around the bush. I wouldn't use suspicious or not suspicious because that is a "subjective" conclusion on bad vs good intentions. All should be part of the same considerations. So I would work along the line of what Jim has suggested - compliance and that applies to both good or bad. So for all the steps, I would use more direct semantics like:

  .. the message does not violate the domain signing policy|practice,
     and the algorithm terminates.  The  transaction SHOULD be given
     positive classification.

  .. the message violates the domain signing policy|practice,
     and the algorithm terminates.  The transaction SHOULD be given
     a negative classification.

To me, this does two things:

  1) Straight to the point - it either satisfies or violates SSP,
     with terms most levels of people interested in this
     would understand or be able to follow.

  2) Helps prepare augmented technology (filters, message handlers,
     heuristic systems, etc) with terms people concentrated in these
     areas would understand or follow.

But since I can see how "suspicious" can cover both ideas, I have no problem keeping it as such. As we all know, receivers are going to train or code their ware to make it work for operators who may want to use this extra DKIM/SSP information about a message. But at the same time, we can't presume everyone are just going to invest in adding what is undoubtedly a very complex protocol and not expect a payoff.

So I hope my input here, and that is all it is, input, helps to make sure it doesn't makes things worst - and that includes those don't implement it or legacy system and begin to become targets themselves with a worst case scenario that the domain reputation is now harmed.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com