Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: the entire world will change their mail systems so that SSP sort of works

2008-01-24 13:56:42
I'm not misrepresenting other peoples arguments at all. If the only
signature on the message is from a 3rd party and there is an
opportunity to check for the assertion of the purported From domain
that is not taken, that in fact is giving more weight ... to the
signature of the third party ...

Right.  Let's look at the message you just sent, and imagine that the
list signed it with a mipassoc.org signature.  Since I know that Dave
runs his lists well, I'm done.  The "opportunity" to check something
else is irrelevant, as is the fact that the list would have broken
your signature.

You are arguing the case of "your trusted friend", the mailing list.
There are alternate ways for a mail list to function rather than
present the "from" address header from another domain.

Now we get to the nub of the fallacy.

Mailing lists like this one have been around for a rather long time,
quite possibly since before you were born, and they're not going to go
away.  Lists are not and never have been a significant phishing
vector, but even if they were, there are plenty of ways to address
that without demanding that everyone in the world change their
software.  If that's what you expect, you're wasting your time.

R's,
John