Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: the entire world will change their mail systems so that SSP sort of works

2008-01-24 17:05:29

On Jan 24, 2008, at 3:33 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:
You are picking a particular case structured by yourself to say "See, this check is irrelevent". You ignore any other use cases regardless of outcome.

Mike,

I think the biggest challenge in discusses this area of standards is to deal with just this: particular cases. Email is used is so many different ways, what works for one scenario well might not work for another.

The issue is not that one is right and another wrong, but that doing something to affect one needs to worry quite a bit about how it affects another.

At a minimum, this is why I've become fond of emphasizing the need to make explicit statements about the scenarios for which something is applicable.

If the final version of SSP is useful for only a limited set of scenarios -- and I believe most of us expect that -- that's fine, as long as this is clear.

So far, scenarios to which SSP will not work seem to be what has been ignored, IMO.

Well said.

-Doug