Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: protecting a domain name vs. protecting a domain tree

2008-04-08 14:27:09

Stephen Farrell wrote:

Dave Crocker wrote:
Whether ADSP can reasonably extract some semantics is an entirely reasonable
line of question.

Right. And that's the basis on which Barry and I think this worth
discussing again.

Sorry, I should have said "a basis" above. Its been pointed out to me
that Dave's concern is broader than just the above which is fair enough.

S.

What we need to see is discussion and consensus that it can and does and
that
the benefits outweighs the costs.

An nice example of a counter-argument is:

Wietse Venema wrote:
 > The problem is that "valid email origin" is a subset of all the
 > names that resolve in the DNS. In other words, there are false
 > positives in the algorithm that continues when [any DNS] record
 > lookup succeeds.

One interpretation of this point is that the presence of a DNS entry (that
is, a
'failure' to get an NXDomain) might be meaningful, but the scope of its
meaning
is much broader than ADSP.

I'm not following that. Can you give an example? Even if its partly
speculative, it'd help me understand your point. (And in this case,
I guess speculation as to future uses of DNS might be valid, since
the current absence of entries is what we're proposing to use.)

Stephen.