Re: [ietf-dkim] protecting domains that don't exist

2008-04-13 21:18:30
On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 23:42 -0400, John Levine wrote:

The current optimization is useful IF you have a lot of first level
subdomains AND you don't have any lower level subdomains AND you have
hostile DNS managers who won't automate the process of creating the ADSP
records.  While I don't doubt that there are domains like that, it strikes
me as a severe case of premature optimization to design with them in mind.

It's equally a KISS thing.

The current design is a complicated tradeoff to cope with an O(k)
requirement for DNS querying. This is unfortunate, it would be desirable
for an "obvious" and simple requirement to be simple to implement. This
is not premature optimisation, it's just robust design.

(Still aware that there isn't a good way to do what I'm getting at.)

- Roland

--
Roland Turner | Product Manager, RealMail | BoxSentry Pte Ltd
3 Phillip Street, #13-03 Commerce Point, Singapore 048693