Re: [ietf-dkim] protecting domains that don't exist

2008-04-11 17:50:20
Dave Crocker wrote:

Jim Fenton wrote:
Arvel Hathcock wrote:
 > So what's the point of importing it into ADSP?

The point is so we can make certain that those who aren't currently
employing the practice will do so and to make sure that the practice
gets itself into a standards document from this body so that we
don't have to guess whether it's being used or not.

That's an excellent point:

Indeed it is.  It crystalized one of the very basic problems with our
trying to add this mechanism.

It's called feature creep. It is also entirely outside the scope of
this working group.

Really. It has nothing to do with DKIM and nothing to do with Author
Domain *signing*.

Really.  A working group's protocol specification effort is supposed
to be guided by more than a current feeling that it should tell folks
what is good for them.

By including my introductory comment, but not the brief accompanying
explanation, you are quoting me out of context, which I don't appreciate.

If ADSP can depend on a well-specified requirement for checking for the
existence of the domain, please indicate where this is specified.

If ADSP would depend on a "common practice" of checking for domain
existence, and produces a misleading result in the absence of this
check, then ADSP is incomplete unless it includes this.

-Jim

d/