Re: [ietf-dkim] protecting domains that don't exist

2008-04-12 14:23:34
At 09:10 12-04-2008, John Levine wrote:
So the intention is clearly that the domains in addresses are supposed
to exist, but I don't see it in a MUST sentence.  I'll ask whether
that's deliberate, or it was so obvious that they didn't think it was
worth mentioning.

There is a presumption that a domain must exist if we want to use it
for addressing.  ADSP does not look at the question from the same
angle as RFC 2821 and RFC 2822.  We can infer from these two RFCs,
and the ones they refer to, whether a domain exists.  From there, we
can outline a procedure to protect such domains.

We have to extrapolate from there and cover domains (i.e.
sub-domains) that don't exist if they can be used to circumvent ADSP.

Regards,
-sm