Re: [ietf-dkim] why we should clearly specify domain existence

2008-05-26 17:31:24
On Mon, 26 May 2008, Wietse Venema wrote:
Tony Finch:

We already have years of operational experience of validating domains
according to RFC 2821 section 5.

You are seriously advocating that verifiers connect to an authoritative
SMTP server for the author domain?

No, the discussion is about DNS-only verification.

I think the specification should not prevent implementations from using
more thorough verification if they choose, or re-using existing
verification code, or re-using a previously obtained verification result,
or using resolver libraries that don't distinguish NXDOMAIN and NODATA.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
FORTIES: NORTHEAST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. FAIR. MODERATE OR GOOD.