Re: [ietf-dkim] Discussion of Consensus check: Domain Existence Check

2008-06-09 16:16:47

John Levine wrote:

    *	levine-adsp-00 provides a superset of methods for *how* to
determine if the domain exists: the NXDOMAIN test and the "check MX &
A/AAAA" method from SMTP. It leaves it up to the implementation to
choose the algorithm that works best for it.

What I should have said was that recipients MUST do the NXDOMAIN check
and SHOULD do the more comprehensive 2821 check.  It's SHOULD since it
is my impression that many MTAs do it anyway, so there's no incremental
cost.

Dave Crocker wrote:
So we need to be careful about assuming that any of these tests are likely to
be "free".  In fact, one bit of feedback I got was explicit about these
additional tests as costing too much.  They had tried and found they added too
much delay.

In view of the fact that there is incremental cost, I would like to suggest that we change the SHOULD [check MX & A/AAAA] to a MAY.  With that change, I'm happy with the text John proposes.

-Jim