Re: [ietf-dkim] Next steps for draft-ietf-dkim-ssp

2008-12-30 13:19:57

MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:
Wouldn't the better (correct) way to state this be:

It's when the signing domain (d=) and signature matches the From:
address domain.

That change in language should help, yes.

The distinction between 'email address' and 'email domain name' is often lost.
Language to emphasize the distinction is probably a good idea for the document.

The fact that i= is defined to identify a user, rather than a mailbox, and that
the difference is not clear to folks, but that it can be quite large, is also
proving to be a consistent point of confusion.  For example it can (and
sometimes does) contain non-mailbox information.  This is what John was
observing a few notes back.

I'm not sure there is an opportunity to clarify it, in this doc, but it might
be
worth considering.

I'm sufficiently not sure that I don't even have language to suggest.  Sorry.

Perhaps some text that notes that i= MAY match the From: address but that it is
not required to, even when i= is in the syntax of an email address?

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking