Re: [ietf-dkim] Broken signature analysis

2010-02-24 13:09:08
At 09:47 24-02-10, Michael Thomas wrote:
The thing that I'm skeptical about is that an automaton can be programmed
to do this sort of analysis with any sort of accuracy. We're talking about
a potential flood of reports coming in, I assume, so I doubt we're all going
to be putting out job reqs for "DKIM Signature Breakage Analysis Engineer".
There were far too many breakages even with tools and hunches that were very
difficult to figure out, and even then there were lots of mysteries.

I guess that it is all about determining whether the number of
reports points to a significant problem.  Murray mentioned the z= tag
( http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2010q1/012988.html ).  It's
useful to catch obvious causes of DKIM verification failures.  I
agree that there is too much breakage for automated analysis.

But I guess this all rather begs the question about what people intend to
do with those breakage stats and/or analysis.

Personally, it is useful to fix bugs and improve the implementation.