Re: [ietf-dkim] Why mailing lists should strip DKIM signatures

2010-04-23 10:14:36
[grr, my ntpd keeps blowing off... sorry if this is a repost]

Dave CROCKER wrote:
On 4/22/2010 9:34 PM, John Levine wrote:

For anyone who's working on the list management BCP:

I sign all my outgoing mail, and I have a feedback loop set up with
Yahoo, which being very modern and advanced keys on signatures, not IP
addresses.  A few days ago I sent some messages to one of the Freebsd
mailing lists.  Today some Yahoo user who subscribes to that list hit
the spam button.  Freebsd's list software (Mailman, I think) doesn't
sign, and doesn't strip any headers.  So what happened?  Yahoo saw my
signature and sent the reports to me, which was of course useless
since I don't run the list.

This is not a hypothetical problem--all of my recent Yahoo FBL reports

If I understand correctly, you established a private arrangement with Yahoo.
Yahoo chooses to create a unique interpretation for the presence of a DKIM
signature, which treats it as an override to the MailFrom.  And from this,
you
are asserting a new, general rule about DKIM handling?

That is exactly my reaction: the way to deal with broken software is to
fixate and blame the pointer to the broken software? Madness lies that way.

Mike