Re: [ietf-dkim] Why mailing lists should strip DKIM signatures

2010-04-23 10:37:53
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 9:38 AM, John R. Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I sign all my outgoing mail, and I have a feedback loop set up with
Yahoo, which being very modern and advanced keys on signatures, not IP
addresses.  A few days ago I sent some messages to one of the Freebsd
mailing lists.  Today some Yahoo user who subscribes to that list hit
the spam button.  Freebsd's list software (Mailman, I think) doesn't
sign, and doesn't strip any headers.  So what happened?  Yahoo saw my
signature and sent the reports to me, which was of course useless
since I don't run the list.

Not completely useless, right? The message did come from you. If it really
was spam, sent from your account, you'd be glad Yahoo reported it to you.

The list should certainly sign, but the old signature has to go, since the
reputation of a list's mail belongs to the list, not the contributors.

I disagree. I say the reputation is partly the contributor's, partly the
list's.

--
Jason Long
http://dkimproxy.sourceforge.net