Re: [ietf-dkim] Why mailing lists should strip DKIM signatures

2010-04-23 12:28:36
sign, and doesn't strip any headers.  So what happened?  Yahoo saw my
signature and sent the reports to me, which was of course useless
since I don't run the list.

Not completely useless, right? The message did come from you. If it really
was spam, sent from your account, you'd be glad Yahoo reported it to you.

Reports of mail sent through freebsd lists are completely useless, since
there's nothing I can do with them.

Reports of mail that haven't passed through other people's list managers
are fine, and my scripts deal with them just dandy.

The list should certainly sign, but the old signature has to go, since the
reputation of a list's mail belongs to the list, not the contributors.

I disagree. I say the reputation is partly the contributor's, partly the
list's.

Could you produce an actual (as opposed to hypothetical) example of a
situation where it is useful to filter list mail based on contributor
signatures that may or may not be present?  I know that every filtering
rule I've ever made for list mail looked for characteristics of the list.

I do the occasional bozofilter but they look at the From: line.  For
reasons that should be obvious, once you know the mail is from the list,
it's be much more reliable to do the bozo filtering on From: rather than
looking for a second signature.

R's,
John