Re: [ietf-dkim] Lists "BCP" draft available

2010-05-23 23:25:48
On 24/05/2010 00:35, John R. Levine wrote:

The only thing that leaves are non-participant MLMs and there really isn't
much to be done with them.

We have one concrete failure scenario, in which someone who publishes
dkim=discardable sends mail to a MLM that as usual breaks the signature, a
subscriber's mail system carefully follows the ADSP and rejects that mail,
causing the subscriber to be bounced off the list.  (This really happened,
on an IETF list.)  The advice is obvious a) put a shim in front of your
MLM to reject discardable mail and b) the usual advice not to use ADSP at
all, but it definitely needs publishing.

I'm surprised we haven't seen that problem on this list, since we have at
least one subscriber whose domain publishes dkim=discardable.  I keep
having to fish his mail out of the spam folder.

Surely the stance of a dkim=discardable sender is that it is absolutely
OK to discard affected messages if there is any reason at all for doubt
and that, therefore, "non-participant" MLMs aren't, actually, breaking
anything.

- Roland