Re: [ietf-dkim] Lists "BCP" draft available

2010-05-24 16:22:21

On May 24, 2010, at 9:19 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:

--On 24 May 2010 10:36:46 -0400 "John R. Levine" <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I do recall. Perhaps if the list (and other lists) were rejecting the
mail,  they'd be more likely to act. We don't have to wait for them, do
we?

Not at all.  If we can agree that lists should reject discardable mail
out of self defense, that's a good point to add to the BCP.

+1

Refusing signups from those domains is probably a bit extreme, though.

I think that's probably the most principled thing to do.

For self-protection, there's also the option of NOT sending the message
with a VERPed sender address. That would mean that a subsequent rejection
should not count against the recipient. If the list is using some other
mechanism to count rejections, then that mechanism should not be used.

If the recipient is rejecting mail from the list, then the list should stop
attempting to send mail to that recipient. It should not try and guess
why the mail is no longer wanted.

We really don't want people to use ADSP (or, much worse, DKIM) as
an excuse for not handling bounces nor for sending unwanted email.

That option isn't so easy to deploy though, because it's performed after
the signature is broken. And, there's no point sending the message because
we can't expect that it will be delivered.

Cheers,
  Steve