Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion

2010-06-02 14:48:16

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John R. Levine
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 3:26 PM
To: Brett McDowell
Cc: DKIM List
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong
Discussion

Recent experience suggests that they often don't.
Can you name someone with ADSP experience who doesn't understand
what it
means?

Not to pick on you specifically, since there are multiple examples,
but
I'd say that domains that publish dkim=discardable and who let their
users
subscribe and send messages to mailing lists don't understand what
their
ADSP is telling people.

I suppose it's possible they do know and they don't care how much
damage
they cause to everyone else, but I'd rather think it was confusion
than
malice.

R's,
John

HA! Something John and I find common ground on. But whereas John's
answer is that people shouldn't use ADSP (A strange position for an
author of ADSP) my answer is that people need to be better educated....
or accept that they run the risk of their endusers mail getting handled
in potentially suboptimal ways.

It's not that people don't care, it's that this stuff (not just ADSP) is
not particularly easy to understand and implement. Brett is relatively
new to this space and wasn't responsible for the PayPal implementation
but as soon as the maillist/enduser problem was pointed out to him he
started working on addressing it.

Personally, I'm not feeling quite as adventurous as to implement ADSP
"DISCARDABLE" because it still isn't clear what the breakage rate on
forwarding is. Publishing "ALL" isn't appealing because it leaves
ambiguous what outcome a sender might expect. Do I get the gain for the
pain or do I get nothing or ?

Be that as it may, I'm going to point out again that the MLM issue is
the tail and not the dog. From a BCP perspective it is straightforward
to me:

If the domain or subdomain involved has enduser (at all) accounts then
it is likely a poor candidate for ADSP "DISCARDABLE". ADSP "DISCARDABLE"
should be used for domains that are subject to high levels of abuse and
are used primarily for transactional or marketing email and where the
mail flows are strictly controlled.

Mike