Re: [ietf-dkim] Lists "BCP" draft available

2010-06-12 06:39:25
On 06/11/2010 10:49 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
... So if we clarify that the recommended practice is to "silently

discard" (as some  have described it), won't we have solved this
particularly problematic work flow?

You're right, then it just falls back to mail mysteriously disappearing.

why can't the MLM send bounce back to sender's mail-from address?

The MLM can't tell the difference between a rejection due to the recipient
address being invalid and due to ADSP.  Rejecting due to ADSP is probably
wrong due to the spec, but sending mail to a list from a domain publishing
ADSP discardable is definitely wrong, so apportion the blame as you wish.

John's response seems to imply that it is sender's responsibility not to
send to lists in first place (if they use discardable). But can we be sure
this will happen?

Of course not.  That's an example of the reason that I don't find ADSP
useful (as opposed to manually vetted discard lists.)  There's no way to
tell whether the party publishing discardable understands what they're
saying.

And likewise there is no way to tell whether the party implementing
discard lists understand what they're doing. IMHO, we should stay away
from assuming the presence or absence of a given level of expertise of
the mail admins on this earth.

/rolf