Re: [ietf-dkim] Lists "BCP" draft available

2010-06-14 09:36:31
-----Original Message-----
From: John R. Levine [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 10:07 AM
To: MH Michael Hammer (5304)
Cc: DKIM List
Subject: RE: [ietf-dkim] Lists "BCP" draft available

I would appreciate you describing in detail this "collateral
damage". If
it involves discarding of mail from the domain in question then it
is
not collateral. What else do you have for us?

It's collateral to the extent that one's users complain about not
getting
perfectly good mail.  "Your friend's mail admins glorp plugh ADSP
grungle
bleep" isn't a very satisfactory response to users.  Pointing to
legalistic language in some web page with a three letter acronym won't
help.

There's also the problems that have been noted with people bouncing
off
mailing lists.  Yes, in that case both ends are doing the wrong thing,
but
if either did the right thing and forgot about ADSP we wouldn't have
the
problem.

The sooner we stop wasting time trying to fix ADSP and start getting
shared drop lists, the sooner there's some hope of using DKIM to keep
simple forgeries out of peoples' inboxes.

R's,
John

John,

What you describe is NOT "collateral damage". The effect you describe is
not unintended or accidental. It is inherent. You may not like it but to
describe it as "collateral damage" is an abuse of the English language.

Mike