Re: [ietf-dkim] New Version Notification for draft-levine-dbr-00(fwd)

2010-06-25 09:08:25

-----Original Message-----
From: John Levine [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:24 PM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Cc: MH Michael Hammer (5304)
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] New Version Notification for
draft-levine-dbr-
00(fwd)

Nothing in the ADSP spec says that the ISP has to silently drop the
mail.

Actually, it does.  Read it again.

http://tools.ietf.org/search/rfc5617

Section 3.3

All messages from this domain are signed with an Author Domain
      Signature and are discardable, i.e., if a message arrives without
      a valid Author Domain Signature, the domain encourages the
      recipient(s) to discard it.

4.2.1.  Record Syntax

discardable
                        All mail from the domain is signed with an
                        Author Domain Signature.  Furthermore, if a
                        message arrives without a valid Author Domain
                        Signature due to modification in transit,
                        submission via a path without access to a
                        signing key, or any other reason, the domain
                        encourages the recipient(s) to discard it.

Help me out here John, where exactly is that "silently drop" section? I
see the discarding part but the "drop silently" part seems to be a bit
silent. Other than the "encourages recipient(s) to discard it" phrase,
the document gives no other guidance as to what the receiver might or
might not do.

For all you know the ISP may choose to automatically send a notice to
the intended recipient indicating that they dropped mail from
example.com based on the published request from example.com and that
if the enduser has any questions they should contact
postmaster(_at_)example(_dot_)com(_dot_)

Ooh, "we're sending you this useless notification instead of what
might
have been spam".  Just when we thought that had been stamped out.

So you have decided to join the group that claims DKIM and ADSP are
about fighting spam rather than being an authentication mechanism.
Interesting.