Re: [ietf-dkim] What can we ask mailing lists to do?

2010-08-24 22:21:20

On Aug 24, 2010, at 6:35 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

may I suggest we stop here for a moment and get back to the original
question, which in essence was: should a 1st signer DKIM signature be
preserved 'coûte que coûte' when a message is handled by a MLM, or not.

It shouldn't, at least not if it means the MLM has to modify it's behaviour
significantly. Subject line tags, unsubscription footers, that sort of thing
are all useful features that shouldn't be sacrificed at the altar of
theoretical ADSP corner cases.

The answer is yes, sure, but that's the same answer I'd offer if you asked if
spammers should set the evil bit (RFC 3514) when sending their mail.

As others have noted, list software does what it does, list managers do what
they do, and the chances that they will do anything we ask drop radically as
we make more demands on them.

I think it's reasonable to encourage them to put a list signature on outgoing
mail.  It'll probably help them get the list mail delivered,

It won't hurt.

and in the common case that the MLM uses some other program as its MTA, some
tweak to the MTA will likely be adequate, so they won't have to mess with the
MLM's configuration. (I speak from experience here.)  Beyond that, we can
make suggestions, but we've dropped off the cliff.

Warning list managers that accepting mail from individuals at ADSP using
domains may cause operational problems for the list operator and other
subscribers is something that's been mentioned previously.

Cheers,
 Steve