Re: [ietf-dkim] What can we ask mailing lists to do?

2010-08-25 11:52:48
  On 8/24/10 8:17 PM, Steve Atkins wrote:
On Aug 24, 2010, at 6:35 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
may I suggest we stop here for a moment and get back to the original
question, which in essence was: should a 1st signer DKIM signature be
preserved 'coûte que coûte' when a message is handled by a MLM, or not.
It shouldn't, at least not if it means the MLM has to modify it's behaviour
significantly. Subject line tags, unsubscription footers, that sort of thing
are all useful features that shouldn't be sacrificed at the altar of
theoretical ADSP corner cases.
Agreed.
The answer is yes, sure, but that's the same answer I'd offer if you asked
if spammers should set the evil bit (RFC 3514) when sending their mail.

As others have noted, list software does what it does, list managers do what
they do, and the chances that they will do anything we ask drop radically as
we make more demands on them.

I think it's reasonable to encourage them to put a list signature on
outgoing mail.  It'll probably help them get the list mail delivered,
It won't hurt.
Agreed.

-Doug