Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-10 17:07:02
On Sep 10, 2010, at 2:53 PM, J.D. Falk wrote:

On Sep 10, 2010, at 12:34 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

The problem is that too many people on this WG take the view "I believe in
solution-X (TPA, PGP-MIME, don't use ADSP because it's broke, don't use
mailing list if you advertise 'discardable') and I will vote down any
solution other than X".

Call me old-fashioned if you will, but I take the view that a purely
hypothetical paper design to address a largely hypothetical problem, with
unknown security problems, unknown user interface problems, and unknown
interoperation problems have no place in a document about actual e-mail
practice.

+1

It's the difference between Best Current Practices and Things We Thought Of
But Haven't Tried Yet.  Either could be published as an I-D, but we shouldn't
try to fit both approaches into the same BCP.

Forgot to mention: I'd totally support the creation of a separate draft listing
Things We Thought Of But Haven't Tried Yet, so long as it's clearly labeled.