Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-14 10:25:14
On 09/13/2010 07:43 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

Based on recent correspondence, it appears that one of the most vehement
advocates of modifying MLMs to work around ADSP and to pass through info
to retroactively check contributor signatures hadn't noticed that I put
S/MIME signatures on my list mail and that even though it adds a footer
to each message, Mailman passes the signatures through so his MUA can
verify them.  Care?  Get real.

fwiw, this list appears to be breaking your signatures (as I expect it will do to my signature as well.)

I agree with your assertion that S/MIME is very MLM friendly. Most of the lists I am on do not break my signatures (even lists that add footers and modify subjects,) and those that do can be easily configured to work nicely. Kudos to the designers of S/MIME and MIME :-)

In fact, most of my frustration with DKIM is because I naively expect it to work like S/MIME. This isn't the fault of DKIM. My expectations are just unreasonable.

Jesse