Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-mailinglists-02 review

2010-09-10 17:22:40
On Friday, September 10, 2010 05:53:57 pm J.D. Falk wrote:
On Sep 10, 2010, at 12:34 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
The problem is that too many people on this WG take the view "I believe
in solution-X (TPA, PGP-MIME, don't use ADSP because it's broke, don't
use mailing list if you advertise 'discardable') and I will vote down
any solution other than X".

Call me old-fashioned if you will, but I take the view that a purely
hypothetical paper design to address a largely hypothetical problem, with
unknown security problems, unknown user interface problems, and unknown
interoperation problems have no place in a document about actual e-mail
practice.

+1

It's the difference between Best Current Practices and Things We Thought Of
But Haven't Tried Yet.  Either could be published as an I-D, but we
shouldn't try to fit both approaches into the same BCP.

It's not clear to me that there's consensus that anything qualifies as Best
Current.  We have some small samples of a few things that some people have
tried, but I don't sense we're there yet.

Scott K