Re: [ietf-dkim] detecting header mutations after signing

2010-10-18 05:34:32

--On 15 October 2010 11:53:51 -0400 Dave CROCKER <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

On 10/15/2010 11:40 AM, Mark Delany wrote:
Well, if you want to introduce semantic changes why not just change
the meaning of h=from:to: to be semantically identical to
h=from:from:to:to:

This would mean that it is /never/ ok to add a listed header field after
signing.  Adding would /always/ break the signature.

I assumed that the proposal applied only to headers rfc5322 says cannot be
duplicated. This is almost the same as saying that non-compliant messages
MUST not verify, but more explicit, and therefore more helpful to
implementers of verification code.

That's a very powerful semantic change.

Not particularly, if these messages are already not supposed to verify.

I've no idea that it's completely safe.  It seems like it ought to be,
but I  worry about corner cases.

d/

ps.  I would expect such a semantic change to require re-cycling the spec
at  Proposed.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex